ABOUT THE PROJECT
This research program aims to contribute to the development of innovative pavements, enhance detection of corrosion in reinforced concrete bridges, undertake research in seismic strengthening for BC schools, and improve durability and performance of innovative materials.
]NOTABLE ACHIEVEMENTS (November 2016)
The research program of IC-IMPACTS’ Scientific Director and Theme Lead for Safe and Sustainable Infrastructure is in five directions:
(1) Pavements: Working on the development of hydrophilic fiber coatings for finer reinforced concrete and include PVA as a coating material. Research is also being pursued in low carbon footprint geopolymers based on metakaoline and flash.
(2) Structural Health Monitoring of Bridges: Research is underway to continue the development of condition assessment tools using infrared imaging and add impact echo and stress pulse methods to detect corrosion in reinforced concrete bridge decks. There is also research underway to attain proper polarization plots for epoxy coated rebars.
(3) Seismic Strengthening of BC Schools and Other Non-Engineered Masonry Buildings: Research is advancing in developing an understanding of the performance of full-scale non-engineered masonry structures that have been seismically strengthened by applying sprayed EDCC materials.
(4) Durability Enhancements in Structures: Another area of research is the development of nano, biocidal coatings for sewer pipes and the pursuit of internal curing materials extension of research in cellulose nano-fibers and crystals.
(5) High Performance Fracture Toughened Materials: A final research initiative is being advanced to develop Ultra High Performance Fiber Reinforced Cementitious Composites (UHPFRCC) with ten-times greater strength than traditional materials and thousand times greater toughness. This research program is also working to understand the mechanisms for their ductile-to-brittle transition and to find mitigative measures for the same.
Dr. Nemkumar Banthia, University of British Columbia
Dr. Paul Bicho, Canfor Innovations
Dr. Pat McConnell, Atlantis Holdings
Dr. Reed Ellis, Stantec
Dr. Kolluru Subramaniam, IIT Hyderabad
Dr. Shashank Bishnoi, IIT Delhi
Dr. Siddharth Ghosh, IIT Mumbai
Dr. Suresh Narayan, National Institute of Engineering, Mysore
Dr. K. Jaiswal, Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology
Dr. Vivek Bindiganavile, University of Alberta
Dr. Rishi Gupta, University of Victoria
Tricon Concrete Finishing Company
Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure of BC
National Institute of Engineering, Mysore
Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology
Stewols India Ltd
Starmass Environmental Technology
Tata Consulting Services
Number of Current Students: 34
IC-IMPACTS Weekly Webinars Wednesdays and Thursdays on Zoom