Call for Proposals: To be launched soon
CALL FOR PROPOSALS: TO BE LAUNCHED SOON
Pilot Demonstration and Research Project for the Rejuvenation of a Stretch of River Ganga near Varanasi
On February 22, 2018, IC-IMPACTS, the Department of Biotechnology (DBT) and the Department of Science and Technology (DST), Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India signed a joint work plan for the rejuvenation of River Ganga. It aims to bring the best and most appropriate science and technology interventions to an identified feeder site on River Ganga at Varanasi.
On February 21 and 22, IC-IMPACTS, the Indian Institute of Technology (Banaras Hindu University), Varanasi and DBT held a two-day scoping workshop in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh, for Canadian and Indian researchers to develop the plan for this project. The workshop in Varanasi led to this Call for Proposals for a pilot demonstration.
The pilot demonstration for the rejuvenation of River Ganga will establish cost-effective and space-efficient solutions that can be implemented on a larger scale. This living laboratory is a collaboration that will demonstrate international research and solutions to effectively clean large water systems, particularly in Canada and India.
Implementing Agencies for This Call for Proposals
- The Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India, is one of the leading research organizations for biotechnology in India, and an important funding source for biotechnology. DBT’s mandate includes promoting the large-scale use of biotechnology and supporting R&D and manufacturing in biology. DBT has developed innovations with far-reaching impacts in the areas of biotechnology and biology in fields ranging from health and the environment to animal sciences and industry.
- IC-IMPACTS Centres of Excellence is a not-for-profit organization, established by the Federal Government of Canada through the Networks of Centres of Excellence Program to serve as a pan-Canadian agency responsible for the delivery of research programs in the areas of safe and sustainable infrastructure, integrated water management, and public health, disease prevention, and treatment between Canada and India. It is the only Networks of Centres of Excellence (NCE) with a mandate focused on research collaborations between Canada and India.
- The Indian Institute of Technology (Banaras Hindu University) Varanasi is a public engineering institution in Varanasi. This pilot demonstration project is anchored at the IIT (BHU), Varanasi and aims to bring the best and most appropriate science and technology interventions to an identified feeder site in River Ganga at Varanasi.
The project will be done in close collaboration and partnership with Clean Ganga Mission of India and other related agencies.
- All Canadian researchers eligible to receive funding from IC-IMPACTS and tri-council agencies in Canada are eligible to apply as Principal Investigators from Canada with an Indian Principal Investigator.
- All Indian researchers normally eligible to apply for DBT funding opportunities are eligible to apply as Principal Investigators from India with a Canadian Principal Investigator.
Mr. Shapoor Marfatia, MBA (UBC), MTech (IIT Bombay), BTech (IIT Bombay)
Chief Operations Officer
IC-IMPACTS Centres of Excellence